Professionals & Cons, Evaluations and Pricing
Study Maple hardwood flooring, together with engineered and laminate Maple flooring, colours, stains, hardness, grades and value.
Fast Hyperlinks: Varieties | Choices | Colours | Sturdiness | Pricing & Evaluations | Professionals & Cons | Different Concerns
On this installment of our hardwood species articles, we’re going to have an in-depth take a look at the attractive choices obtainable in maple hardwood flooring. With its delicate grain and creamy-blonde tones, maple has all the time been a powerful favourite for dwelling flooring within the USA, and is turning into an much more widespread choice lately with a swing in the direction of Scandinavian and Mid-Century Trendy impressed inside design – each kinds that look to optimize pure mild paired with clear, uncluttered décor. So if that’s a mode you’re desirous about, then maple flooring is an effective hardwood choice – nevertheless, there are different factors to think about to make sure that maple flooring are the perfect selection in your area.
See our different Hardwood Species posts together with: Walnut flooring and Acacia Flooring
Kinds of Maple
If you happen to’re trying to purchase maple, then remember that there are actually two broad phrases used when describing maple hardwood: laborious maple and tender maple.
- Exhausting Maple is used to explain two varieties of maple tree: Sugar Maple (Acer saccharum) and the Black Maple (Acer nigrum). Each of those maple timber are used for making maple hardwood flooring and plenty of wooden furnishings merchandise. The Sugar Maple is, after all, additionally the place we get all our scrumptious maple syrup!
- Gentle Maple is used to explain 4 different varieties of maple timber: Silver maple (Acer saccharinum), Crimson maple (Acer rebrum), Boxelder (Acer negundo) and Bigleaf maple (Acer macrophyllum). This type of maple, because the title recommend, is just not as laborious or as sturdy, so it isn’t used for flooring, however is right for wood-worked décor objects, furnishings veneers, crates and pallets.
Maple Shopping for Choices
As with most different hardwood flooring, there are completely different maple flooring choices obtainable available on the market:
- Stable Maple flooring is normally three/four” thick, however is available in a big number of widths and lengths relying on the producer. Completely different manufacturers supply stable maple in both pre-finished and unfinished states. Pre-finished hardwood signifies that the planks have been handled already with a stain or sealant, and with some type of textured floor.
- Engineered Maple flooring tends to come back in a lot thinner thicknesses, from as little as 1/four” thick. Once more widths, size and finishes range relying on the producer. Nevertheless as with engineered hardwoods usually, there may be normally a a lot bigger vary of shade finishes than with stable hardwood.
- Laminate Maple flooring is an alternative choice – particularly when you’ve got a decent price range. Plank widths in laminate flooring are typically the extra commonplace 5”, however the vary of colours and kinds on supply tends to be fairly extensive.
A Word About Maple Flooring Grades
Sure producers, significantly for stable hardwood flooring, will carry completely different grades of maple. Grades refers back to the high quality of the wooden, which is normally certified by the way it appears to be like. Grade 1 maple planks have a uniform shade with only a few – or no – seen knots; grade 2 maple has a bit extra “actual wooden” character with some knots and extra selection in shade tones; grade three maple flooring has a a lot knottier, rustic facet. Grade 1 is the costliest and grade three is the perfect to maximise your price range.
You may add an additional stage of curiosity to refined Maple flooring by laying quick planks in a herringbone parquet sample.
Maple Flooring Colours, Stains and Textures
In my view, a traditional American maple hardwood flooring is greatest left in its pure state, with a transparent sealant end to permit the gorgeous grain and buttery tones to shine by means of.
Nevertheless, maple hardwood can also be porous sufficient to simply accept stains pretty effectively, so you’ll be able to actually change the colour to fit your tastes, from deeper tawny brown tones to smooth grays. Having mentioned that, DIY maple flooring staining might be difficult, and infrequently greatest left to the professionals. Fortunately, many manufacturers already supply pre-stained maple hardwood planks, so that you don’t really want to go down the DIY staining route, except you actually have a really distinctive or custom-blend shade in thoughts.
Additionally keep in mind that there are various completely different texture finishes on supply together with hand scraped/ distressed, wire brushed, and clean, every giving a distinct really feel to go with your inside design.
Take a look at our Hardwood Flooring Varieties put up for an in-depth take a look at hardwood choices
Will Maple Flooring Flip Yellow?
It is a powerful query to present a straight reply to, as a result of it will depend on a number of elements. It’s true that pure mild tones woods, like maple and oak, can flip a shade of amber with age. That is unavoidable as it’s partly right down to the oxidation of the pure oils within the wooden. Nevertheless, the change of patina might be exacerbated by oil-based polyurethane sealants reacting to daylight. Word that oil-based sealants already give mild coloured wooden a yellowy tone from the primary software.
The answer is to go for a water-based polyurethane end within the first occasion, which is able to merely improve the pure fantastic thing about your maple flooring with out including a yellow tint. If in case you have put in maple flooring that has already been pre-finished with an oil-based sealant then you must think about including blinds, gauzes or tinted glass to your home windows to keep away from an excessive amount of harsh, direct daylight discoloring your flooring over time.
Maple Hardness and Sturdiness
Maple flooring has a Jenka hardness rating of 1450 which is an effective bit tougher than oak flooring, the business commonplace for hardwood. Because of this maple flooring is kind of laborious, much less liable to dents and could be very sturdy (it’s a preferred selection for bowling alleys for this very purpose). Nevertheless, if maple flooring isn’t coated in a powerful polyurethane end it should scratch – and its clean grain makes the scratches appear extra seen.
General maple is a sound flooring selection for many energetic households; nonetheless, we advise that you simply guarantee your maple flooring are correctly sealed and that you simply put money into space rugs and runners for prime visitors areas corresponding to hallways to maintain your flooring at its greatest.
Right here the Maple flooring has been pre-stained a lovely, on-trend gray-brown tone.
Maple Flooring Prices and Manufacturers
If you happen to’re choosing maple, then there’s excellent news: there are a variety of nice manufacturers to select from, which additionally signifies that you’ll possible discover a maple flooring to match your price range. Then again, there may be such a factor as an excessive amount of selection! Narrowing issues right down to sort of development, texture end and shade end will make your search so much simpler! Listed below are a number of the greatest manufacturers to look out for:
- Stable Maple flooring: high manufacturers embody Bruce, Armstrong, Mohawk, Somerset and BuildDirect (who’ve their very own in-house manufacturers corresponding to Jasper and Strolling Horse but additionally carry different manufacturers too). Costs for stable maple generally is a little increased than for engineered – anticipate to pay from round $three to $10 per sq. foot.
- Engineered Maple flooring: a great deal of selection right here from manufacturers corresponding to Somerset, Mohawk, BuildDirect, Armstrong, Mannington and Kährs. Costs for engineered maple are just a little decrease than stable; anticipate to pay between $2.50 to $9 per sq. foot relying on the end.
- Laminate Maple flooring: Pergo are after all the kings of laminate, and have some good maple ones of their catalog, but additionally take a look at Mannington, BuildDirect, Dwelling Decorators on the Dwelling Depot, and Shaw Flooring for a greater diversity of maple laminate flooring. Laminate is the budget-friendly choice with costs starting from $1 to $5 per sq. foot.
Right here the Maple flooring has been whitewashed to mix into the general décor scheme.
Maple Flooring Professionals and Cons
Maple Flooring Benefits
- One of many largest benefits for maple is that it’s extensively obtainable and there may be loads of selection; plus, as a result of it’s sourced regionally and responsibly within the USA, it’s higher for the atmosphere than unique hardwoods.
- As talked about above, maple is extensively obtainable and really inexpensive; completely different grades and varieties of maple can be found to go well with most budgets.
- Maple has a high-quality grain that offers every plank a reasonably uniform look; maple flooring subsequently supply a clear backdrop that may work for many inside designs. This makes it a superb choice for those who like to alter your décor typically; or as an funding to enchantment to a large viewers.
- The pure mild tone of maple is ideal for Scandi-inspired, modern, clear and ethereal décor – it’s a extremely popular selection for right now’s dwelling proprietor.
- Maple is comparatively excessive on the hardness scale, making it much less liable to denting and extra sturdy.
- As with most hardwood flooring, maple flooring that has been correctly completed is straightforward to maintain clear and keep.
Maple Flooring Disadvantages
- As with many hardwoods, maple flooring can react badly to environments with fluctuating humidity ranges, swelling and compacting as the degrees shift. This generally leads to warping and cracks. We advocate utilizing engineered maple flooring in areas liable to damp – corresponding to basements and loos – as a result of engineered hardwoods are extra steady and higher suited to areas with excessive humidity. You too can counter extreme humidity by investing in a dehumidifier.
- Maple does scratch simply – however you’ll be able to reduce this with a superb protecting sealant, and the addition of strategically positioned areas rugs.
- While you’ll be able to stain maple, it will probably prove a bit patchy. It’s a job that’s greatest left to professionals, or you’ll be able to go for pre-stained planks.
- Maple flooring will flip a deeper shade over time, and whether it is completed with oil-based polyurethane then it will probably react badly to direct daylight and yellow. Utilizing water-based sealants and taking precautions in opposition to daylight harm may also help reduce this.
- Maple is just not the proper selection for you if you would like a flooring with an attention-grabbing grain – the high-quality grain in maple wooden provides a way more uniform, refined look.
Ultimate Maple Flooring Factors to Take into account
American maple hardwood flooring is a traditional, and is a stable funding because it has nice longevity – not simply in precise phrases due to its sturdiness – however as a result of it’s a widespread selection that’s unlikely to exit of style.
However as with all hardwood flooring, your funding is just nearly as good because the set up. Just be sure you have a superb subfloor and underlayment earlier than putting in your maple planks, and do the analysis to discover a reliable and skilled set up group.
To maintain your maple flooring at its greatest, you must plan for normal refinishing (each three to five years for stable maple flooring); for those who’re choosing engineered maple flooring then select one which has the thickest put on layer which is able to enable you at the very least one respectable refinishing throughout its lifetime.
And at last – a no brainer actually – as with all giant funding, test that your producer presents a superb, lengthy and complete guarantee!
A real American traditional – Maple in its pure state continues to be preferrred for right now’s fashionable houses.