Price to Refinish Hardwood Flooring 2018 (Free Quotes)
Welcome to the House Flooring Execs the place right now we’re wanting on the nationwide common hardwood refinishing prices based mostly on the kind of wooden ground refinish you’re on the lookout for. We’ll checklist out the associated fee per sq. foot for 3 several types of wooden refinishing initiatives, in addition to the components that have an effect on value. So for the associated fee to strip, sand and refinish hardwood flooring learn on.
The tables and content material beneath offer you an approximate estimated value to refinish wooden flooring. For correct costs tailor-made to your particular house please get your self three to 4 free estimates from trusted native contractors. Even in the event you plan to refinish a hardwood ground your self you may think about getting some quotes simply to ensure that DIY actually is the associated fee efficient approach to go.
Common Price Comparability Desk
Hardwood Refinishing Choices
Professional: Handyman or Licensed Contractor
Professional: Licensed Contractor
|Display and Recoat Flooring||$zero.75-$1.50/sq. ft.
Screens and provides
Polyurethane and applicator
Comparatively open ground plan
Comparatively closed ground plan
|Refinishing with out Staining Flooring||$1.25-$2.00
Polyurethane and applicator
Flooring in truthful situation
Flooring in poor situation
A number of small rooms
|Refinishing with Staining Flooring||$1.55-$2.35
Sander rental and provides
Stain, polyurethane and provides
1 or 2 coats of stain
Flooring in truthful situation
Flooring in poor situation
* See an entire checklist of Hardwood Flooring Refinishing Price Components plus potential additional prices beneath
Your choices for restoring the great thing about hardwood that’s misplaced its luster are:
- Display and Coat: Display the flooring, and apply one coat of polyurethane
- Refinish and Coat: Refinish the flooring by sanding them and making use of two or three coats of polyurethane
- Refinish, Stain and Coat: Refinish the flooring and stain them between sanding and making use of polyurethane
Many owners are unclear on the distinction between screening and refinishing wooden flooring. Let’s outline phrases and talk about when every of the three approaches in acceptable.
Price to Strip and Refinish Wooden Flooring (Display and Recoat)
To display a ground is to take away scratches within the polyurethane coat with out reaching the wooden. A recent coat of polyurethane is then utilized. Screens are mesh materials coated in abrasives, so just like sandpaper. Screening can be known as buffing as a result of a mechanical buffer is used. The method is known as “display and coat” and “buff and coat.”
- Skilled value to display and coat hardwood flooring: $1.15-$2.25 per sq. foot.
- When to display and coat hardwood: This technique is right when solely the polyurethane that protects the flooring has been marred however the underlying hardwood is in good situation. Execs advocate screening and coating the ground each Three-5 years or as wanted to stop injury to the hardwood and delay the necessity for refinishing.
- Find out how to display and coat hardwood: The room is cleared earlier than being screened utilizing a mechanical buffer (commonest) or by hand. The ground is vacuumed after which tacked, the method of eradicating remaining positive mud particles utilizing a moist microfiber fabric. Lastly, one coat of polyurethane is utilized.
Price to Sand and Refinish Wooden Flooring
Refinishing hardwood flooring is the method of sanding away the broken high layer of wooden and making use of a recent end.
- Skilled value to refinish hardwood flooring: $2.50-$5.50 per sq. foot.
- When to refinish hardwood: This technique is important when scratches, dents and stains have broken the wooden, not simply the polyurethane sealer.
- Find out how to refinish hardwood: The polyurethane and sufficient of the wooden is sanded away to take away mild injury. If a wooden plank is deeply scratched, it may be repaired with wooden filler or the plank will be changed. The naked wooden ground is vacuumed and tacked. Two or three coats of polyurethane are utilized. The primary coat is usually a mixture stain and polyurethane product in the event you want to change the hue of the wooden. Mixture merchandise like oil-based Minwax PolyShades and water-based Cabot Polystain are a good selection.
In search of a troublesome premium Flooring End? Learn our Bona Visitors HD Overview
Price to Stain Wooden Flooring When Refinishing
Wooden ground stain is on the market in additional colours than mixture stain and polyurethane. Owners have the flooring stained individually when the colour they need is simply out there as a stain.
- Skilled value to stain and refinish hardwood flooring: $2.95-$6.25 per sq. foot
- When to stain wooden flooring throughout refinishing: When the colour you like is on the market solely as a stain, not in a polyurethane product. Additionally, some skilled hardwood refinishers choose to use stain individually somewhat than in a mix stain and polyurethane product.
- Find out how to stain hardwood when refinishing: When the ground has been sanded, vacuumed and tacked, stain will be utilized. When dry in Four-6 hours, a second coat of stain will be utilized to darken the colour, or the primary coat of polyurethane will be utilized.
Screening and Coating a Flooring vs. Refinishing a Flooring
If you end up not sure which approach your ground requires, talk about the choices with a hardwood refinishing contractor. In actual fact, we advocate getting opinions and price estimates from two or three refinishers. Make sure you allow them to know you’re conscious of the display and coat approach, or they may fail to current it as an choice.
Display and coat professionals and cons:
The benefit of the screening and coating a ground are decrease value and fewer days your private home is disrupted. Within the long-run, the best benefit of the display and coat technique is that it doesn’t take years off the lifetime of your ground, since not one of the wooden is eliminated.
If screening the flooring doesn’t take away the scratches and stains, and the hardwood is recoated, you’ve wasted your cash. That is simply prevented by evaluating the ground after screening. If the injury has been eliminated, the approach has succeeded, and also you’ve saved cash.
A hazard of DIY hardwood ground screening just isn’t realizing how closely to display the ground. If the screening is just too mild, the injury gained’t be eliminated. Whether it is too heavy, it’d take away all of the polyurethane in some areas. Staining or making use of polyurethane to a ground that’s half naked wooden and half poly-coated will go away it wanting mottled.
Refinishing hardwood professionals and cons:
Refinishing the ground ensures probably the most lovely end result. It removes scratches, stains and discoloration within the wooden or previous polyurethane end. You even have the choice of fixing the colour of the wooden with stain.
The disadvantages of refinishing wooden flooring are the upper value and the actual fact hardwood will be refinished a restricted variety of instances earlier than changing it’s needed – Three to five instances for stable hardwood, however simply 1 or 2 instances for engineered hardwood.
The hazard of DIY hardwood ground refinishing is the potential for doing extreme injury to the ground with the sander. It’s a strong software that may simply gouge the wooden or go away low spots by way of uneven sanding.
Hardwood Flooring Refinishing Price Components
Just a few components decide the place on the associated fee spectrum your venture estimates will fall:
- The dimensions of the job: The bigger the job, the decrease the associated fee per sq. foot.
- The ground plan: Refinishing 1,00zero sq. toes of flooring in three small rooms, for instance, takes much more preparation and labor than refinishing the identical quantity of hardwood in an open ground plan.
- Stains: Water and pet stains require additional work and care to take away.
- Native value of residing: Common prices are highest in main metropolitan areas on or close to the Coasts. They’re lowest in rural areas of the Midwest and South. Prices differ by about 25% throughout the nation.
The prices within the desk above are based mostly on common nationwide customary pricing and should not particular to any hardwood refinishing venture. If you obtain an in depth quote from a flooring skilled, some or a number of of the next extra prices could also be included:
- Shifting a considerable amount of furnishings and muddle to clear the flooring: $20-$50 per room
- Repairing giant scratches by filling them, sanding and coloring the filler: $25-$100 per scratch
- Eradicating heavy wax buildup: $zero.75-$1.35 per sq. foot
- Changing planks that can’t be repaired: $75-$150 per plank with a potential minimal cost of $200 or extra if a special contractor does the work
- Stairs: $80-$125 per stair
- Wire-brushing the wooden to create a “distressed wooden” look: $2.00-$Three.50 per sq. foot
- Fuming or smoking the wooden with chemical functions to create an aged or rustic look: $1.00-$1.65 per sq. foot
- Eradicating carpeting first: $zero.50-$1.00
- Changing molding and trim that now not matches stained hardwood: $5.50-$9.00 per linear foot
- A considerable amount of hand sanding required in tight areas a machine sander gained’t match: $200-$500 per room
- Lead paint abatement – painted flooring: $9-$16 per sq. foot.
- Stripping non-lead paint: $1.75-$Three.00 per sq. foot
Are you able to refinish engineered hardwood? Discover out.
Different Hardwood Flooring Refinishing Price Calculators from Round The Web